Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food that originated in Mumbai. It is a spicy and flavorful vegetable curry served with soft bread buns. It’s a favorite among Indians and foreigners alike and is perfect for any occasion. In this post, we’ll show you how to make the best pav bhaji at home.
Pav Bhaji is a popular street food item in India that originated in Mumbai. It is a flavorful blend of mashed vegetables and spices that is served with soft, buttered buns. Pav Bhaji is easy to make at home and is perfect for a quick, delicious meal.
To make delicious Pav Bhaji at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4-5 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of Pav Bhaji Masala
- Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of butter
- 8-10 Pav buns
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Lemon wedges
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
To make Pav Bhaji at home, you will need the following equipment:
- Pressure cooker
- Large pan
- Potato masher
- Wooden spoon
Knife and chopping board
Before you start cooking, make sure you have all the ingredients ready. Peel and chop the potatoes, onion, and bell peppers. Finely chop the tomato and green chilies. Mince the garlic and ginger.
5. Cooking the Vegetables
- In a pressure cooker, add the chopped potatoes, green peas, and enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables for 3-4 whistles or until they are soft and cooked through.
- Once the pressure is released, mash the vegetables using a potato masher. Set aside.
6. Preparing the Masala
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add the finely chopped onions and cook until they turn translucent.
- Add the finely chopped bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft and spicy.
- Add the Pav Bhaji Masala and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for one minute.
7. Combining the Vegetables and Masala
- Add the mashed vegetables to the pan with the masala.
- Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little water to get the desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and add
- What is Pav Bhaji?
Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food that originated in Mumbai. It is a spicy and flavorful vegetable curry served with soft bread buns.
- What vegetables can I use in Pav Bhaji?
You can use a variety of vegetables in Pav Bhaji, including potatoes, peas, carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, and beans.
- Can I make Pav Bhaji without butter?
Yes, you can make Pav Bhaji without butter, but it won’t have the same flavor and richness.
Pav Bhaji is a delicious and easy-to-make street food that you can enjoy at home. With this step-by-step guide, you can make the best Pav Bhaji that will be loved by everyone. So, try this recipe and enjoy the mouth-watering flavors of Mumbai street food in the comfort of your home.